Bouncing Back: Preparing to return to work
December 03, 2008
More than half the mothers in the United States today are working mothers with young children. If you are one of them, here are some tips to keep in mind as you head back to work:
- Ease back into work. Being away from your baby can be extremely difficult. Talk to your employer about working half days then working up to full days
- Begin during mid-week. Facing two or three days of being apart from your baby is easier than facing five.
- Give yourself time to recuperate; full-time work eight weeks after birth would be too much for some women.
- Take time to prepare yourself and your family for the adjustment.
- Avoid returning to work during a particularly stressful time, if possible.
- Ask your employer about flexible hours so that you can sleep later in the morning if your baby is waking you at night.